16, December 2012
The Shiva temple at Dhandeeswararm (is a part of Velachery), Chennai, is a 10th to 12th century old. There are lot of Tamil inscriptions found around Karuvarai wall. Since the temple is about 2 KM from my residence I used to go on Sundays and important functions. During Maha Shivarathri day I used to be there throughout the night. The outer prakaram was constructed in concrete during recent years through devotee’s donations, whose names appears on the pillars.
Iraivan : Sri Dhandeeswarar
Iraivi : Sri Karunambigai
Some of the important features of this temple are as follows....
- After Eman lost his dhandam at Thirukadaiyur, in Dwaraba yugam Eman came to this place, created a Thirukulam ( Now called as Yema theertham on the west side of the temple with fencing ) and worshiped Lord Shiva of this temple and got back his dhandam. Hence Iraivan is called as Sri Dhandeeswarar and the place is called as Dhandeeswararm.
- All the 4 Vedhams were taken away by Somugasuran and kept under the sea. The Vedhams had done dhabas at this place and worshiped Lord Shiva at Thiruvanmiyur to get rid of Asura dhosham. Hence This place was called as Vedhasreny which is latter called by the present name of Velachery. There is also another version that this place was called once as Velvichery which became the name of Velachery.
- Sannadhi for Vinayagar and Sri Valli Devasena samedha Sri Subramaniyar are in artha mandapam.
- Sannadhis for Somaskandhar ( Murugan is not there at centre ), Chandrasekar & Ambal, Maha Lakshmi, Saraswathi, Valli Devasena samedha Subramaniyar, Sandikeswarar, Thiruganasamabandar ( Both silaroopam ), Natarajar Saba, Bairavar, Vishnu and Suryan.
- Standing in one place near Sandikeswarar, we can have the dharshan of Sri Mahalakshmi, Saraswathi and Durgai. And also we can have the dharshan of Moolavar and Ambal sannadhi vimanams.
- In Koshtam, Vinayagar, Dhakshinamoorthy ( Dhakshinamoorthy is facing Kubera moolai, hence he is called as Kubera Dhakshinamoorthy ), Lingothbavar ( The lingothbavar is Chandrasekarar, the Maan and Mazhu are interchanged from the usual positions ), Brahma and Durgai.
- In The outer Prakaram 63var, Naalvar, Kashi Viswanathar, Vaitheeswarar, Chokkanathar, Meenakshi, Navagrahas and Naagars.
- The Temple has lot of Vahanams which are used during urchavavam were kept in the outer prakaram.
- At the east side entrance Dwajasthambam, Palipeedam and Nandhi in a small mandapam.
- On the east side entrance to the main shrine, sannadhi for Kaalai santhi Vinayagar and Murugan.
- The Rajagopuram is of 5 tiers on the south side. There are three tier gopurams on the east and west side of the temple ( Which are kept locked ). East side will be kept open during prathosam days.
- There is an Alangara mandapam on the left side of south entrance where important functions are held.
- There was a Digital banner erected recently in which the names of the defaulters of Tax, rent etc., to the temples are printed. The temple has many properties and the income is a question.
- Lot of tamil inscriptions, belongs to Sundara Chozhan ( father of Rajaraja Chozhan ), found around Karuvarai wall. They were not maintained and are in un readable condition due to painting. One of the inscriptions is about a donation to burning a lamp in the sannadhi. From the inscription the temple must be 1055 years old. This is the first temple constructed by Chozhas in Thondai Nadu as per Mr Vakula Varadharajan, a Historian.
- The thirukulam ( Yematheertham ) is on the main road, west side of the temple with grill/ fence work on all the four sides.
- It was learned that sun light will fall on moolavar one day in a year, it is not happening nowadays due to obstruction of a new building constructed on the eastern side.
- The Ambal in this temple was installed by Appaya dheekshithar with Srichakra, during 16th century, similar to Maangadu and Thiruverkadu. ( Appaya Dheekshithar’s wife was from Velachery – There was story behind that - )
- Shastiyapthapoorthi functions are performed here next to Thirukkadaiyur ( Who could not go there ). The present charge is Rs. 7500.00.
- Thiruvasakam mutrum othuthal is being conducted regularly on 'maham' nakchathiram day through Velachery Koil Thirupani mandram under the leadership of Mr Adalarasan
HOW NTO REACH :
- Lot of Town buses available from various parts of Chennai City to Velachery and the bus stop is Gandhi nagar or Dhandeeswaram bus stop between Gurunanak College and Vijaya nagar bus terminus. ( equal distance from both bus stops.
- Office Phone number :+91 44 22436121
- Sivachariyar Mobile number : Kumarasamy Gurukkal. 9884402525
LOCATION OF THE TEMPLE : CLICK HERE
Tamil isncriptions on the wall behind karuvarai fully damaged and not readable due to painting
Moolavar & Ambal sannadhi vimanams can be worshiped standing in one place
Ambal sannadhi vimanam
( Mann and Mazhu are interchanged in Lingothbavar )
Chandrasekarar - opposite to Lingothbavar
Alangara mandapam in which urchavam, functions like, Shastiyapthapoorthi are held in this mandapam.
Kasi Viswanathar and Vaitheeswaran Sannadhi in the outer prakaram.
Saba mandapam Vimanam
View from east side with dwajasthambam, Palipeedam and Nandhi mandapam.
5 Tier Rajagopuram
Shivratri 2016 : CLICK HERE--- OM SIVAYA NAMA ---