A continuation to the previous post.....
11, February 2014.
After dharshan returned back to Cheyyar bus stand and crowd was swelling. People were fighting to get a seat and some reserve seats before the bus enters in to the bus stand. Since the bus to Kanchipuram from Cheyyar is limited waited for an hour, watching the peoples behavior. After Vembakkam the bus dropped me a diversion road to Thiruppanangadu. The temple is about 1.5 KM off main road with tamarind trees on both sides.
On the way I also visited the theerta tank. Iron grills are erected to guard the same. It was believed that Iraivan created this water source for Sundarar after he gave kattamuthu. It is only a hearsay. But this is not mentioned in Periyapuranam written by Shekkizhar. When I reached the temple Urchavar arrived after thiruveethi uzha.
09 – VANPARTHAN PANANGATTUR. ( Now this place is called as Thiruppanangadu ).
This is the 9th Devarampaadal Petra Shiva Sthalam in Thondainadu. Sundarar has sung hymns in praise of Lord Shiva of this temple.
Iraivan : Sri Thalapureeswarar
Iraivi : Sri Amithavalli
Iraivan : Sri Kirupanatheswarar
Iraivi : Sri KirupaNayaki.
Some of the important features of this temple are…
- There are two Shiva sanctum sanctorium with separate palipeedam, Dwajasthambam and Nandhi( in an elevated position ). The Nandhi’s horn in front of Kirubanatheeswarar sanndhi is very small.
- There is an entrance arch and there is no Rajagopuram. But there is a 2nd level 3 tier Rajagopuram after nandhi mandapam.
- There is no sannadhis in the outer prakaram.
- In the inner prakaram sannadhi for Ambal Amithavalli, Ambal Kiruba Nayaki, Palliayarai in between, Devakottai Periya Ekappachettiyar’s moortham ( who had done a lot of thirupani to this temple ), 63var, Naalvar, Vinayagar, Meenakshi samedha Chokkalingar, Sthala Virukshama stone sculpture, Mahalingam, Gajalakshmi, Valli Devasena samedha Subramaniyar on peacock vahanam ( face of the peacock is on the right instead of left ), Navagrahas with their vahanams, Sandikeswarar by the side of Sri Kirupanatheswarar, Natarajar Saba, Bairavar, Chandran and Suryan.
- In koshtam of Sri Thalapureeswarar sannadhi, Ganapathy, Dhakshinamoorthi ( like a separate sannadhi ), Lingothbavar, Brahma and Durgai.
- In koshtam of Sri Kirupanatheeswarar, Ganapathy, Dhakshinamoorthy, Vishnu and Brahma.( No Durgai ).
- Dwarabalakars are at the entrance of Sri Thalapureeswarar sannadhi.
- Dwarabalakis are painted in front of both Ambal sanndhis.
- Relief of Vaali and Sukreevan fight, Nagalingam, Egapathamoorthy, Garudalvar, Vishnu, Yoga Dhakshinamoorthy, Anjaneyar, Agasthiyar, Pulathiyar, Sthala viruksham ( at the entrance of Kirupanatheeswarar sanndhi ) are chiselled on the pillars looks cute.
- Both Shiva sannadhis vimanam are of gajabirushtam type.
- Kottai Muneeswarar temple is in front of Shiva Temple.
HOW TO REACH:
- From Kanchipuram to Cheyyar bus via Vempakkam passes through this place.
- Chethpet – Peramanallur – Cheyyar – Kanchipuram via Vempakkam passes through this place.
- Kanchipuram to Kalavai bus Passes through this place.
- The temple is kept open between 07.00 Hrs. to 12.15 hrs. and 16.30 Hrs. to 20.30 Hrs.
- Sivachariyar Devaraja sharma may be contacted through his mobile 9843568742 for details and pooja.
LOCATION OF THE TEMPLE : CLICK HERE
Theertha kulam on the way to Temple. It was said that the theertham was did not dried up even during the peak of summer
A sign board to the temple
Temple Complex view from out side
Temple complex view from out side
Rajagopuram with Dwajasthambam
Rajagopuram with Dwajajasthambam on both sides and the entrance arch
Nandhi in front of Thalapureeswarar
Sri Valli Devasena Samedha Subramaniyar - Peacock's face is on the right side
Sri Chokka nathar, Sri Meenakshi and the sthala Viruksham
Dhakshinamoorthy in Sri Thalapureeswarar temple koshtam.
Naga Lingam - a relief
Vaali & Sukreevan are fighting - A relief
A relief of Vishnu
Agasthiyar ? or Pulathoyar ?
Hanuman - a relief
Hanuman - relief
Devakottai Ekappa Chettiyar who had done thirupani to this temple
Lord Shiva as Neelakandewarar and Ambal - thiruveethi uzha during this Masi Maham festival - A rare occasion to see.
--- OM SHIVAYA NAMA ---