15,August 2014Celebrated this year’s independence day 15th August 2014, by visiting Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalangal in Kanchipuram of Thondai Nadu. On hearing this Mr.Adalarasan ( He does the thirupani to the Shiva temples based at Velachery Chennai, with a work force of 200 to 300, all are volunteers in and around Chennai ) suggested me to visit to Shri Veerataneswarar ( Saakya Nayanar Temple ) very near to Railway station. Also he told that he will be visiting to this temple on 15th evening in connection with Uzhavarapani. Hence I made up mind to visit this temple after Onakanthanthali. When I landed at Shri Veraataneswarar temple to my surprise, Mr.Adalarasan was there, making arrangement for Sunday’s Uzhavarapani. After dharshan proceeded to Kachinerikaaraikadu through an auto after dropping him at bus stand. While getting down he gave me a packet and told me that it is only a prasadham. When I opened the packet after dharshan of Shri Sathyaviratheswarar, it was a coconut rice for the breakfast. Hope he handed over to me which he brought for himself. Iraivan has given me this food in the form of prasadham through Mr Adalarasan. ( But what he had done for his breakfast, O, God! – Hope Lord might have arranged for him also ).
3. ONAKAANTHANTHALI. ( This temple is in Panchupettai a part of Kanchipuram. )
This the 3rd Devaram Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalam in Thondai Nadu. Sundarar has sung hymns in praise of Lord shiva of this temple.
Iraivan : Sri Oneswrarar, Sri Kaantheswarar.
Some of the important features of this temple are.....
- Vanasuran’s captains Onan and Kaanthan worshiped Lord shiva of this temple. Hence the two Shiva Linga sannadhis are after their name.
- There is small three tier Rajagopuram on the east side with out dwajasthambam.
- In the outer prakaram Sannadhi for Vayiruthari Pillayar, Sri Valli Devasena Subramaniyar ( Kumara Velan ), Sabtha nagakannikaikal, Bairavar, Navagrahas, Suryan, Agoraveerabathrar and Sandikeswarar.
- In Onankantheswarar sannadhi koshtam Sri Ganapathy, Dhakshinamoorthy, Mahavishnu, Brahma and Vishnu Durgai.
- There is no Koshta moorthangal in Sri Kaantheswarar Sannadhi.
- Oneswarar is of suyambu and big in size with irregular surface with vibhuthi pattai alangaram looks cute.
- Lord Shiva and Parvathy’s Kalyanakola moortham is on the back of moolavar.
- Sannadhi for Naalvar is in the front mandapam. The entrance to moolavar sannadhi is small with sudhai Dwarabalakars on both side.
- There is also another Shiva sannadhi by name Sri Salanthareswarar worshiped by Salantharan with inter connecting door from Onakaanthan Thali Temple. There is no Koshta moorthangal.
- When Sundarar sung hymns, Iraivan gave him Tamarind fruits in to Gold.
- The temple Sivachariyar calls himself as Siddhar and he tells kuri ( குறி சொல்லுதல் ) ( about the person and future happenings - like astrology ). It is interesting to hear and note the history of the temple through his actions.
HOW TO REACH:
- The temple is very near to Panchupettai electrical substation part of Kanchipuram and a KM from Shri Ekambareswarar temple and 2 KM from Railway station.
- Can be reached through an auto from Ekambareswarar temple.
CONTACT DETAILS :
- The mobile number is 98944 43108.
Shri Vayiruthari Pillayar ( ஸ்ரீ வயிறுதாரி பிள்ளையார் )
Sri Sabtha Nagakannikal
Shri Kaantheswarar sannadhi on the left and Shri Oneswarar Sannadhi moolavar gopuram on the right
Shri Oneswarar sannadhi moolavar vimanam
Shri Salanthareswarar sannadhi (way )
Shri Salanthareswarar Sannadhi
Shri Salanthareswarar sannadhi front entrance
5. KACHI NERIKKAARAIKADU ( Now this place is called as Thirukali Medu a part of Kanchipuram )
This is the 5th Devaram Paadal Petra Shiva Sthalam in Thondai nadu. Thiruganasambandar has sung hymns in praise of Lord shiva of this temple.
Iraivan : Sri Sathyaviratheswarar.
Iraivi ( Urchavar ) : Sri Brambarambigai
Some of the important features of this temple are…..
- Iraivan worshiped by Indiran and Budhan.
- The temple is facing west with a 3 tier Rajagopuram.
- At the entrance nandhi and Dwajasthambam.
- In the outer prakaram sannadhi for navagrahas, Bhudhan and Sani Bhagavan.
- In the inner prakaram sannadhi for Natarajar Saba, ( Natarajar with Shivakami ), Naalvar, Indiran, Budhan, Bairavar, Valli devasena Subramaniyar, Gajalakshmi, Neelakanda sivachariyar and Lakshmi samedha Thirumalavan.
- Urchavars for Somaskanthar, Sandeswrar, Chandrasekarar, Prathosha nayagar and Naalvar.
- In koshtam Ganapathy, Dhakshinamoorthy, Lingothbavar, Brahma and Durgai.
- At the entrance of sanctum Dwara Ganapathy on the left and Subramaniyar on the right.
- Moolavar is of suyambu little large and high with slight red in colour. In the sanctum moortham of Ambal Bhrambarambigai.
HOW TO REACH :
- The temple is on the Thirukkali Medu a branch road from Railway road opposite to Head Post office.
- Town buses available only up to Head Post office and 1 KM distance from there.
CONTACT DETAILS :
- The Land line and Mobile numbers are 044 - 2723 2327, 2722 1664.
Nandhi Mandapam, Dwajasthambam and Pali peedam
The three tier Rajagopuram with Dwajasthambam, Palipeedam and nandhi mandapam
Shri Maha Ganapathy - big in size
Back of moolavar Shiva Lingam and naagars
Shri Lakshi Samedha Shri Thirumalavan
Naalvar, Bairavar, Budhan, Indiran and Suryan
Sri Neelakanda Sivachariyar
Stone window opposite to Natarajar Saba.
SHRI VERAATANESWARAR TEMPLE ( SAAKYA NAYANAR TEMPLE )
Iraivan : Shri Veraataneswarar
Some of the important features of this temple are....
- The temple is facing west, small without Rajagopuran, and Pali peedam.
- The Nandhi is sitting on a raised platform on the west side.
- Except Sandikeswarar there is no sannadhi in the outer prakaram.
- In the inner mandapam moorthams of Lingas, Shiva Parvathy, and Saakya Nayanar.
- The Lord was worshiped by munivars and Siddhars. A munivar by name Konganeswarar want to test Shiva by placing a kulikai on the Shiva Idol which will turn to water. Instead it was observed by Shiva Linga moortham. After that Konganeswarar worshiped lord and attained mukthi.
- This Lord of This temple was worshiped by Sri Saakya Nayanar, one of the 63var. Even though he belongs to Saakya Religion ( One of the sub sect of Buddhist religion ) he worshiped Lord Shiva by throwing stone on Shiva Lingam. One day with out throwing stone he sat for the lunch. Suddenly he remembered and came out for throwing stone on Shiva Lingam. Iraivan with Parvathy gave kailaya dharshan.
- The temple has old kalvettukkal. These inscriptions belongs to various periods. First the temple was built around 1049 AD by 2nd Pallava king Parameswararn. In 1136 AD a lady by name “Sivanai Muzhuthum Udayal” had donated a Lamp. In 1168 AD A devotee Sethirayan had donated 32 cows during 2nd Rajathi Rajan period. In 1181 AD the temple was maintained by 3rd Kulothungan. In 1360 the temple was renovated by Vijayakammban. Sri Sankarachariyar has built outer compound wall.
HOW TO REACH:
- The temple is at the back side of SR Theatre, by the side of Railway station in Koneri Kuppam .
- At the end of the Appa rao street opposite to Maria Ackchiliam girls school. (1 KM )
CONTACT DETAILS :
LOCATION OF THE TEMPLE : CLICK HERE
Entrance to the main temple
un installed and damaged statues and pillars
Damaged uninstalled statues
Nandhi is sitting on a raised platform
Old Tamil inscriptions ( Kalvettukkal )on the base of moolavar sanctum
Shiva Linga moorthams in the artha mandapam.
Lord Shiva and Parvathy - on the back, Brahma and Vishnu
Sakya nayanar one of the 63var