10th September 2016.
This Heritage visit was arranged through R.E.A.C.H Foundation for it’s Epigraphy students by Mr Ramanath on 10th September 2016. Mr Ramanath accepted my willingness to join with them ( as an old student, I hope ). Though it was not a planned visit, 19 heritage enthusiasts in their car and motor cycles participated in this visit. I was fortunate to hear the history, architecture and inscriptions of Chozhas and Pallavas once again from Mr Ramachandran and Mr Vakula varadharajan after a long gap. We had covered Madambakkam, Sri Dhenupureswarar, a Chozha Period Shiva Temple, A Buddha Statue at Ottiyambakkam, Nandeeswaram Sri Nadeeswarar a Nandhivaraman a pallava period temple and a Vijayanagara Period Gajaprishta sanctum Perumal temple at Vandalur.
A continuation to the previous post …..
SRI NANDEESWARAR TEMPLE AT NANDHIVARAM , GUDUVANCHERY, CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU.
This temple is very near to Guduvanchery Bus terminus.
Iraivan : Sri Nandeeswarar
Iraivi : Sri Soundaranayaki
Some of the important features of this temple are…
- The temple is facing east with an entrance arch on the south side.
- Palipedam and nandhi are kept at the eastern side in the outer parakaram.
- In the outer prakaram sannadhi for Navagrahas and Perumal.
- In the inner prakaram sannadhi for Valampurivinayagar, Arumugam, Valli Devasena Subramaniyar, Gajalakshmi, Chandikeswarar, Bairavar, veerabathirar and Suryan.
- In koshtam Narthana vinayagar, Dhakshinamurthy, Vishnu, Brahma and Durgai.
- The Moolavar is of Pallava period and the temple was constructed during nandhivarman. The inscription tablet once found is missing now.
- A 9th to 10th century nandhi is kept under a canon ball tree ( Nagalinga flower tree) looks beautiful.
- Since Nandhivarman constructed this temple, may be this place is called as nandhiswaram after his name.
- The temple is kept open between 07.00 Hrs to 11.30 Hrs and 17.00 Hrs to 20.30 Hrs.
HOW TO REACH :
- The temple is very close to Guduvanchery Bus terminus.
- About a KM from Guduvanchery Bus terminus.
……. To be continued.
--- OM SHIVAYA NAMA ---