Wednesday, 5 October 2016

HISTORY OF THE ESTUARY – HERITAGE WALK AROUND THE ADYAR CREEK – DHYANA ASHRAM

02nd October 2016
The Dhyana Ashram is located in a place called Kuil thoppu in Santhome on a 5 acres of Land. The Church initially known as “MA DE DEUS” ( Mother of God) started with St. Francis Xavier arrival to Mylapore in the year 1545. In 1547 Fr Alphonso Cyprian took over his service.  A new Church was built for Mae De Deus on 8th September 1576 and the same was maintained by Portuguese Jesuits. It was believed that the  founder of Madurai mission Fr. Robert De Nobili, spend his last days.

The old Church was pulled down and a new Church was constructed,  for which foundation was laid on 29th Feb 1999 and completed on 11th Feb 2000. Arch Bishop James Aruldaas and Fr. D. Jayaraj was the instrumental for the construction of the new Church. Only the original Alter was retained and the rest was built with concrete.
LOCATION : CLICK HERE


 The original alter 



 The original alter 


 Reliefs of Peacock and Dogs?

Nivedita Louis The letters AMDG on the relief is the Jesuit Society motto- Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriem, meaning 'for the greater glory of God'. As for the relief figures- peacock symbolises pride- biggest sin, dog symbolises- envy and may be the hanging cauldron might symbolise punishment for greed which is boiling in oil....


Mr Vincent D’ Souza pointed out that there must be a lane ( on the present church’s place )opposite to this Pillayar Temple in front of the House.


... to be continued ( Admiralty House )

No comments:

Post a Comment