Thursday, 6 October 2016

HISTORY OF THE ESTUARY – HERITAGE WALK AROUND THE ADYAR CREEK – ADMIRALTY HOUSE.

02nd  October 2016.
As per Mr S Muthiah, the historian the house must be built during 1892, where Chief Naval forces of Madras lived there. So through this it might have got the name of Admiralty House and the successors also retained the same name. This house on the Norton Road was bought by the Maharajah of Vizianagaram and owned till his mysterious death. He  himself argued personally in the Madras High Court against Sir Alladi Krishnaswamy Iyyar, T R Venkatarama Shastri and K Kuttikrishna Menon, who are representing the minors, to prove himself that he is not insane.  After this, within a year he died after falling from the balcony  in a mysterious circumstances.

Latter the House was changed as Admiralty Hotel. A V Meyyappa Chettiyar taken the property on lease for making films under the banner of Pragati Pictures  from 1930 to 1942 ( Rs 250 paid as a rent per month ). The same place was used for SBI Training College, a Wedding Hall, SUN TV, The auction House Murray’s and their Nurses quarters and that a Hyderabad based School called Chaitanya is functioning there.       
LOCATION: CLICK HERE  





 The name etched still remains as ADMIRALTY HOTEL on the compound wall

 An old house on the wayCLICK HERE  
An enamel sign boards

... to be continued ( ADYAR CREEK  and QUIBBLE ISLAND CEMETERY )

No comments:

Post a Comment