Saturday, 31 December 2016

NAPIER BRIDGE AND COOUM RIVER MOUTH WHERE JOINS WITH BAY OF BENGAL. – THE COOUM – a Cultural mapping – A HERITAGE WALK

31st December 2016
The Bridge was constructed by Francis Napier in 1869, who hold the office as Governor of Madras Presidency to connect the Fort St George with Marina or the Nawab Palace. The bridge was constructed with steel with 6 spans. The bridge is measured as 138 meters length and 9.75 meters wide. Many times the bridge was struck by lightning and a India’s first lighting  structure was constructed, which now stands tall with out knowing its purpose.  

The river was very wide at the river mouth with High tides. The tides pushes the sand towards the mouth was dredged regularly. We could see the change of colour of the river water from brackish to blue.

LOCATION:CLICK HERE   



 See the colour of water – black with blue at the river mouth 

 See the colour of water – black with blue at the river mouth 


 A fishermen’ temple 
 Robert Cald well statue near Napier Bridge 


The Lightning arrestor with structure  

--- OM SHIVAYA NAMA--- 

No comments:

Post a Comment