Saturday, 31 December 2016

NAPIER BRIDGE AND COOUM RIVER MOUTH WHERE JOINS WITH BAY OF BENGAL. – THE COOUM – a Cultural mapping – A HERITAGE WALK

31st December 2016
The Bridge was constructed by Francis Napier in 1869, who hold the office as Governor of Madras Presidency to connect the Fort St George with Marina or the Nawab Palace. The bridge was constructed with steel with 6 spans. The bridge is measured as 138 meters length and 9.75 meters wide. Many times the bridge was struck by lightning and a India’s first lighting  structure was constructed, which now stands tall with out knowing its purpose.  

The river was very wide at the river mouth with High tides. The tides pushes the sand towards the mouth was dredged regularly. We could see the change of colour of the river water from brackish to blue.

LOCATION:CLICK HERE   



 See the colour of water – black with blue at the river mouth 

 See the colour of water – black with blue at the river mouth 


 A fishermen’ temple 
 Robert Cald well statue near Napier Bridge 


The Lightning arrestor with structure  

--- OM SHIVAYA NAMA--- 

St. GEORGE FORT – THE COOUM – a Cultural mapping – A HERITAGE WALK

31st December 2016.
After the security check we walked through the east gate. The fort was constructed with agali ( water was flowing around the fort ). The fort is facing east and constructed like star, such that the enemy can be attacked from two directions. The complex consists of the present CM’s office, Museum ( which displays the armours, guns, shells, weapons pistols, Guns, Coins, ceramic utensils, National flag, freedom fighters names, paintings, etc. ) IAS officers offices,   The first St, Mary’s Church, Clive’s Residence, presently occupied by Archaeological Survey of India. Still Military personnel are hold their offices and residence in the complex. It was understood that Tamil Nadu Government is paying lease/ rent to Military.  

LOCATION:CLICK HERE


Museum
Tippu’s Sons are handed over to British – the relief at the pedestal of Cornwalis statue 
Clive’s House – ASI Office now 

Clive’s House – ASI Office now 
Clive’s House – ASI Office now 
Clive’s House – ASI Office now 
Clive’s House – ASI Office now 
Clive’s House – ASI Office now 
 St Mary’s Church 
 St Mary’s Church 

 St Mary’s Church 
 St Mary’s Church 
 St Mary’s Church 
 A Tamil inscription tomb cover 
 St Mary’s Church 
 West side double door 
 West side double door 
 To store Gun powder ?
 West side double door Entrance 
 West side double door Entrance 
West side double door 
 Mr Venkatesh explaining the angle of shooting 
--- OM SHIVAYA NAMA---

VICTORY WAR MEMORIAL, ISLAND GROUNDS– THE COOUM – a Cultural mapping – A HERITAGE WALK

31st December 2016.
Victory War Memorial, formerly called the Cupid's bow, is a memorial near Island Grounds, Chennai, India, originally constructed to commemorate the victory of the allied armies during world War I (1914–1918) and later became the victory war memorial for World war II (1939–1945), erected in the memory of those from the  Madras Presidency, who lost their lives in the wars. Later addition includes inscriptions of 1948 Kashmir Aggression, 1962 War with China and the Indo-Pakistan War. The names of the those deceased till 1971,  with rank are inscribed at the base on all four corners. The monument is being maintained by military personnel on the round the clock basis. The national flag flies high on a top mast.

குறைந்தது மாதம் ஒரு தடவையாவது இராசா அண்ணாமலை மன்றம் அலுவல் நிமித்தமாக இந்த போர் நினைவு இடம் வழியாகச் சென்று இருக்கின்றேன். ஒவ்வொரு தடவையும் உள்ளே சென்று பார்க்க முடியாமைக்கு வருந்துவேன். நேற்றுத்தான் ஊள்ளே சென்று பார்க்க சந்தர்ப்பம் கிடைத்தது. முதலில் முதலாம் மற்றும் இரண்டாம் உலகப் போர்களின் வெற்றியைக் குறிப்பிடும் வண்ணம் அமைக்கப்பட்டது.  பின்பு  ஜம்மு காஷ்மீர், இந்தியா – பாக்கிஸ்தான், இந்தியா – சீனா இடையே 1971 வரை நடந்த போர்களின் போது மெட்ராஸ் பிரசிடென்சியில் தேர்ந்து எடுக்கப்பட்டு உயிர் நீத்த வீரர்களின் நினைவாக, அவர்களின் பெயர்கள் அவர்கள் வகித்த பதவியும் பொறிக்கப்பட்டுள்ளது. ஓரு புறம் தமிழில் எழுதப்பட்டு.ள்ளது, வருடமமும் தமிழ் எண்களில். .   

LOCATION:CLICK HERE











--- OM SHIVAYA NAMA---

NAWAB PALACE AT CHEPAUK – THE COOUM – A Cultural Mapping – A Heritage walk

31st December 2016.
The last heritage walk  was the monuments at the end of Cooum river joins with Bay of Bengal. Mr Venkatesh, the historian and Mr Raja and Mrs Sakthi Prakash undertook this heritage walk on 31st December 2016.

CHEPAUK NAWAB PALACE
The Senate Building in side the Madras University Chepauk campus was part of the Nawab Palace. Mohamed Ali Wallajah, who became the Nawab of Carnatic ( 1749 – 1795) wants his permanent residence under the protective shadow of St George Fort. It was believed that The British contractor Paul Benfield built the palace in an area of 177 acres. The palace is of Indo Saracenic architecture. The palace has big varandahs and rooms. Buildings were added in stages. When the Nawab could not pay the debts nearly ( Public liabilities was 3 million pagodas and private liability was 7 million pagodas - Major portion of the creditor was Paul Benfield ) the palace auctioned and taken over by the Britishers. Finally they were left with a title of ‘Prince of Arcot’ and an yearly pension of Rs 150000.

The palace is under renovation after a fire and nobody is allowed to peep in. The Senate building was renovated in the recent years and convocation are also conducted by the Madras University. The pillars has the Hindu religions related reliefs with Dwarf supported pothiyals. The reliefs include, Natarajar, Lakshmi, Vinayagar, Brahma, Puli kuthi pattan, Sri Subramaniyar with valli Devasena.


LOCATION:CLICK HERE
 Senate Building – Madras University 


 Pulikuthi pattan relief



  Queen Victoria
  Queen Victoria
 Queen Victoria
 Nawab Palace 
 Nawab Palace 
 Nawab Palace 
 Nawab Palace 
 Nawab Palace 
 Nawab Palace 

--- OM SHIVAYA NAMA---