Saturday, 25 March 2017

GANGAIKONDA CHOLAPURAM

15th March 2017.
After the Kumbhabhishekam of Gangaikonda Cholapuram held during  2nd February 2017, thought of worshiping Lord Shiva during Mandala Pooja or immediately after that. The  official trip to Thirukadaiyur also helped me to go to this temple on the way to Chennai on 15th March 2017. The temple was cleaned and structures were painted compared to my earlier visit. The cloudy day spoiled the photos darken, but the photos taken are much better than the previous trip photographs. Since the details are written in the previous post, up loading only the photos taken during this visit.

For more photographs:CLICK HERE













  


For more photographs:CLICK HERE 

---OM SHIVAYA NAMA---

Friday, 24 March 2017

DANISH FORT ( FORT DANSBORG) – THARANGAMBADI ( TRANQUEBAR ).

14th March 2017.
I was on an official duty to Thirukadiyur on 14th March 2017 and utilizing this opportunity visited this Danish Fort, which is about 7 KM from Thirkadaiyur. Tranquebar is the earliest Danish settlement and was once a sea port. This was also the headquarters of Collector for about 150 years.  When Danes came Tharangambadi they felt that this place would be a potential trading centre. So Danish Admiral Ove Gjedde entered an agreement with the Thanjavur King Raghunatha Nayak and build this fort. The land was given for rent and allowed them to collect taxes from the villages near by Villages. The treaty was signed on a golden leaf and still available at Danish Royal Archives museum at Copenhagen.  It was believed that this fort was built over a Portuguese Catholic Church where now Fort exists.

The Danish fort otherwise called as Dansborg was constructed in the year 1620. Many parts are reconstructed several times latter. Once the sea was about 500 meters away from the fort wall. But now the east side on the wall is in the sea. The rampart wall is large in size surrounded on all four sides, with bastions at each cardinal points. The three sides of the rampart consists of Barracks, Ware House, Kitchen, Bar room, Kitchen, Jail and a hanging place. In the hanging place after the prisoner was hanged, arrangements are made to dispose the body in to sea through a tunnel.

On the eastern side facing the sea, there is a  two story building  with lower story had ware house and the upper story  had the Church, Governor’s residence and rooms for the senior merchants. The eastern side was  fitted with canons at vantage points. The Fort was protected by the sea on the eastern side and moat was constructed around the fort. There is no moat now and the same was completely destroyed.

During British Period, the  fort was not used since it was not a advantage place for them. After independence the fort was used as an inspection bungalow by the State Government till 1978. After this Tamilnadu Government Archaeological Department had took over the fort and renovated three times ( 2001, 2011 and 2015-16 ). Now A Museum is functioning at the eastern side of the  upper story  building.

LOCATION:CLICK HERE

 The eastern 2 story building where Governors & Senior Merchants  lodging and Church was functioned




  



 The remains of fort wall now in the sea

  
  

 Tunnel where the dead bodies are discharged in to sea

  
Entrance


The agreement between Thanjavur King  Raghunatha Nayak and Danish

For More Photographs : CLICK HERE
---OM SHIVAYA NAMA---

Thursday, 23 March 2017

ROBERT KELLY MEMORIAL, ARANI – A HERITAGE TRIP.

...a continuation post to Arani Heritage visit.
18th March 2017.
Col. Robert Kelly was killed by his subordinate Col. Vigor in a duel on the 29th September 1790 and was buried in Arani Fort. After two years, this monument was constructed by Col. Vigor's son Col. Urbon Vigor   The monument is in the form of obelisk stands to a height of 45 feet. 

LOCATION:CLICK HERE




SACRED
to the memory of
COL. ROBERT KELLY
Who departed this life in the vicinity
Of arnee Sep 29 AD1790 A AES52
THIS MONUMENT
Was erected by
L COL URBA VIGORS
as a mark of respect for
a gallant soldier

---OM SHIVAYA NAMA---

Wednesday, 22 March 2017

POOSIMALAI KUPPAM PALACE, S.V. NAGARAM, ARANI – A HERITAGE VISIT

..a continuation post to S.V. Nagaram Palace
18th March 2017.
After Lunch at Arani, we had been to this Poosimalai Kuppam Palace, through a forest for about 6 to 7 KM from S V Nagaram. The Palace is in the midst of the forest surrounded by the hills. The locals used to call this as Glass Palace – கண்ணாடி மாளிகை.   It was learnt that the forest was created by planting trees by the Jahirthar.

The Bungalow or the Palace was constructed in the year 1860 CE ( the drawing was prepared in the year 1850) and the Architect was W.N Pogson. The Palace looks like 1800’s European Palaces.  The palace has a Kitchen, living place for the servants and a well. The palace is of G + 2 floors and the top floor was with a tiled slopping roof. Sit out on the north side was supported by cast Iron pipes made like pillars and also serves as a rain water drain pipes from the top slopping roof. The top slopping roof has gutters to divert the water through these cast iron  pipes. These pillars/ rain water pipes are imported from UK and made at Glasgow during 1860 CE

The roof of the Ground and first floors are supported by steel beams and concrete was a mixture of lime mortar and broken bricks. The walls are built with bricks and plastered with lime mortar. In side the wall are finished like a glass and out side the same was done like brick and painted with red oxide colour. The corner bricks are specially made for this palace.    

Even-though the purpose of the Palace was not known there are many stories behind this mistry. One such story is, The Jahirthar  built this palace for his British wife. This Palace also called as SHOOTING BOX. It was told that Jahirthar used to hunt deer, rabbits, wild boar from this Palace.  The Palace now looks like ghost  bungalow used for illegal purposes. The walls are scribbled with paint, ink, nails etc by the miscredients. The doors and windows were taken away.  The Palace stands majestically even now telling it’s old glory.

HOW TO REACH :
This Poosimalaikuppam Palace is  about 6 to 7 Km on the north west direction of S.V. Nagaram Palace.

LOCATION:CLICK HERE

Looks like a castle 



 Ceiling painting 

 Ceiling painting 


Made in UK, Glasgow

 Pillar serves as a Rainwater pipe 

 Corner brick stones specially made for this palace 

 This structure enhances beauty of this Palace

 2nd Floor Roof 



…. To be continued  Robert Kelly Memorial )

---OM SHIVAYA NAMA--- 

Tuesday, 21 March 2017

SATHYA VIJAYA NAGARAM ARANMANAI ( S. V. NAGARAM PALACE ) , ARANI - A HERITAGE VISIT.

A continuation post to Arani visit…
18th March 2017.
Sathya Vijaya  Nagaram otherwise known as S V Nagaram  was established by the  Jahir Venkatanatha Rao Sahib in 1825CE, an ardent follower of Madhwa sampradaya. Located on the banks of Kamandalanaga River.  S V Nagaram was named after  Sri Sri 1008 Satya Vijaya Theertharu of Moola brindavan. The palace or the Aranmanai was constructed adjacent to the Moola Brindavan. The Jahir, as per the instruction of the pontiff established S V Nagara for the upliftment of poor  Brahmins  from Maharashtra, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.

The palace / Aranmanai was constructed 1825CE ( assumed since correct date was not available ) and expanded in 1876 CE ( a stone tablet was installed on an entrance wall ), with Ground + 2 floor are now in ruins. The style of construction is called as “Stuart Architecture”.  The Queen’s palace and the fountain are renovated and being used by the Tamil Nadu Government. The Tamil Nadu Govt.  Veterinary Hospital   and  Regional Institute for Rural Development  was functioned in this Palace.

The complex consists of  Main Palace and a Palace for the queen or  Jahir’s wife. The main palace was constructed with bricks and over which lime mortar  ( Mixture of lime and sand  ) plastering was done. Polishing was done after plastering. Still we can see and feel the smoothness of the wall in the un pealed portions.  Woods are used for  supports for the ceilings. The pillars are constructed with specially made semi circular bricks and round granite stones are used  to increase strength to hold the load. The  stucco work on the Pillars, above doors ways, windows both inside and out side  are excellent with figures like lion, human face etc., and paintings are done on the ceilings and walls.

In Queen’s Palace entrance door glass has an etching of  Jahirs emblem (an image of a fort and a hand with sword). A Latin word ‘PER DEUM-ET FERRUM OBTINUI” is written and the meaning is “We got all these through GOD and our sword”. Similar images can be seen on the Sadras Fort and Pulicat Dutch cemeteries.

The above Palace was constructed in a 300 acres of land. The Jahirthars lived lavishly. They used to go to horse races conducted at, Chennai, Ooty and Bangalore. They bought imported cars from various countries and had all brands of cars starts with  A to Z. They had 182 cars at one period and at least 8 to 10 cars might have parked in the palace.

LOCATION:CLICK HERE


 This portion was damaged due to fire 


 The construction of a pillar with specially made semi circular brick and a granite round stone to increase the strength of the pillar




The stucco images of pillar top – pothyal

 Paintings


 Water fountain 

 The Queen’s Palace ( Now the Govt Office is functioning after renovation )

A Latin word ‘PER DEUM-ET FERRUM OBTINUI” is written and the meaning is “We got all these through GOD and our sword”. 

Durbar Hall

A fragment of pillar with relief  on the back side of Palace

For More Photographs:CLICK HERE 
…….To be continued SHOOTING BOX.

---OM SHIVAYA NAMA---